In the past few weekends, I’ve been working on cleaning up the clutter in my life, both literally and figuratively. One of the major tasks I had to do was sort through a whole lot of old stuff, from pictures to projects, and even old test papers and papers from my students (and even mine!). I also had to clean up my dresser, where I found a whole bunch of things that triggered old memories, both happy and not-so-happy. It got me to thinking about things that trigger such memories and decided that since it’s been a while since my random serial sevens list, I should make one today.
So here goes:
- Johnson’s Baby Cologne especially the blue one. This reminds me a lot of childhood days.
- Fruit Stripes bubble gum reminds me of my mom’s daily pasalubong (treat) for me when she’d come home from school (she was still completing her degree in Accounting in DLSU when I was a child )
- Paste that comes in tubes.
- The smell of Old Spice cologne and baccarat cigars. These remind me of my papa and all the places we used to go when he was still in Manila.
- Stamps on letter envelopes. I haven’t seen this in a while, but whenever I do, I recall the time when I was still collecting stamps Oh, and how I would write different embassies as a child to ask for stamps from their country for my collection.
- Chinese junk food like kiamoy, champoy and all those yummy and not-so-healthy preserved stuff/
- Planters Cheese Curls. My mom said she made me “lihi” (craving) on cheese curls dipped in condensed milk. Um…yes, I know it sounds weird but it is pretty yummy. As a child, we’d eat a whole lot of this
What about you? What are things that remind you of yesterday?