Well, well, well….so another year has gone and despite my constant love affair with the birthday blues, this year, I seem to be welcoming the year with a more pleasant and optimistic demeanor.
This is my 31st. It will be a year of change.
For many, we say that yearly but this time, I feel it will be different. I guess a more apt term for it would be this will be a year of transitions. A few weeks back, I coined my 31st year as my last calendar year. In many ways, it is a very suitable metaphor for my transition year, right? As I navigate through the last year my age can be found in the calendar, I will make concrete strides in changing the direction my life is going. I think I’m off to a good start, hence the positive demeanor.
For one, earlier this month my colleague Tina and I were talking and I think we both came to the conclusion that this is the last year we (well at least me) will be teaching in preschool. I love my preschool job, don’t get me wrong, but I feel I’m getting too old for the job. It’s way too difficult for me to be bright and sunny so early in the morning!!! Plus my back and my legs can’t take more of this squatting!!! If ever I do stay in the preschool biz, I suppose it would have to be more of supervision or something like that.
Secondly, I am working on the shift to pursuing my dream to be a writer. I am eternally grateful for a serendipitous Plurk I came across one day asking if anyone would be interested in writing for a health and wellness channel. Little did I know that this would lead to finding my way to another one of my many life’s passions. One thing I would like to work on soon would be a book, either for kids or about depression. What exactly I haven’t figured out yet, but hopefully I make strides in this as well this year.
Lastly, I have discovered a whole new world though the World Wide Web (duh, I guess that’s why it’s called that, right?). Blogging used to be just a sporadic thing for me, an online journal that just talked about myself and my thoughts, but now, I realize it is much, much more than that and I am excited to get more deeper into it. I had initially included meeting the sheriff in my first list of things I want for my birthday, but that came early Oh, plus Mr. G too :-0
So, for my 31st, here is a list of wishes and hopes for the year, some simplistic and perhaps materialistic (what would a wish list be without that, right?) and most personal and life-changing.
- I pray for more patience, despite my constant quip about patience being a virtue I can often live without.
- I wish for a new teeny-tiny laptop Much as Apple in it’s cherry red shell case will always be my first love when it comes to gadgets (unless it’s daddy of a computer a.k.a an iMac becomes mine!) I would love to have one of those small laptops that I can lug around wherever I go. Plus it comes with a battery that still charges!!! (Any sponsors?
- I hope I can complete my 30-movie in the year goal. So far it seems on track! I’m up to movie number 13 already! Hmmm….since this is a list of 31, perhaps I should make it a 31-movie goal too
- I will lose weight! I have to. I can’t live like this anymore.
- I will try to successfully complete a Project 365! I have not yet decided where, but expect my first post later on in the day.
- I hope to write something in print this year, as in paper-or-magazine-type-print. Not that online publishing isn’t as rewarding, but since I’m doing that regularly, I would also like to see it in paper.
- I hope to be able to go to the beach with Bubba at least once this year.
- I will lessen my cramming behaviors! Promise. Oh, lessen doesn’t mean eliminate, okay?
- I hope to end my 31st year with a savings of at least 31K. And for an impulsive shopper, compulsive spender like me, that’s a big step.
- I want to increase my Starbucks collection by at least 5 new additions this year.
- I hope to get involved in a new project this year. What, I don’t know yet. Last year I had my Autism Awareness project, but given the time constraints I have now, I wasn’t able to start something yet.
- I want a fantabulous point and shoot camers Yes, I know I have an SLR…but having one of those great P&S cameras would still be great.
- I will try to build up the confidence to dance.
- I hope to be able to go on a self-retreat again soon.
- I want to find time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life.
- I hope to be able to cultivate more friendships with fellow Bloggers
- I wish my old friends and I will also be able to get together more often.
- I wanna attend more events that I can blog about!
- I will try to keep my room as clean as I can manage to do so.
- I hope to be able to effectively balance things I want to do and things I need to do.
- I will try to be more flexible when it comes to dealing with other people.
- I pray for more understanding and a more open mind when it comes to things that I do not know.
- I hope to be less judgmental and crucial of people.
- I will lessen my tendency to fan the proverbial flames of gossip.
- I wanna go to the spa! Not just a home massage, but the whole spa treatment
- I will work on getting to know my students better this year, because I know this makes me a better one.
- I will waste less and make sure I bring alternative bags for groceries more consistently.
- I want a Neutrogena Wave!!! But I still refuse to buy it myself hehehehe.
- I will spend more time with Bubba.
- I hope to expand my social horizons more this year by trying to overcome my being shy (even though people don’t believe mahiyain ako!)
- I hope to set up 2 new blogs this year. I just got to get my time management skills down pat!
hmmm….apparently coming up with a list of 31 things to do (especially when I take into consideration that I want these to be realistic and attainable goals) for the year is harder than I thought! I hope, however, that by next year, I can come back to this list and say I did it all.